Use the Quick Review screen to view and mark student responses alongside the model answer.
Quick Review streamlines the marking process by allowing you to view, mark, and leave comments on student responses to open ended questions. The question you are reviewing is displayed at the top of the page. Keyboard shortcuts make moving around the screen even faster, and model answers are readily available for your reference when marking and writing comments.
You can access Quick Review for each open-ended question from the lesson's Analytics page. Find the question you want to review in the Question Analysis column and click on View responses. (If you're not familiar with the Analytics page, click here).
Here's what you can do in Quick Review
Click on each topic to go to its section of this article, or keep reading below:
- Read a student's response alongside the model answer;
- Mark and leave feedback or comments;
- Move from one student to another;
- View all available keyboard shortcuts at a glance;
- Present student answers anonymously to the class.
Student responses and model answers
This is the main body of the page and has three different viewing modes. Switch viewing modes by clicking on the corresponding tabs.
- Student answer shows only the student's response;
- Model answer shows only the model answer, which is handy for presenting to the whole class;
- Compare shows you both in a side-by-side layout.
Mark and leave feedback
The bottom of the page includes the mark value of the question, a comment box, and Right and Wrong buttons.
- Add the total number of marks earned for the question to the box on the left. Total marks are only calculated on assessments.
- Click the blue speech bubble to add feedback comments for the student to read.
- Click the green tick or red X to mark the response right or wrong.
Move between students
Click the left and right arrow buttons to move to the next or previous student in the list.
You can also click on the current student's name to reveal a drop-down menu of every student who has attempted the question. Select a student from the menu to jump directly to their response.
This is the part where Quick review becomes even quicker! All of the main tools include keyboard shortcuts. Click on Keyboard shortcuts at the top of the Quick review screen, or type ? to display the list of shortcuts. Hints will also appear over the buttons the first time you use Quick review.
The three shortcuts that can speed up your marking the most are the Right (R), Wrong (W), and Move between students buttons (left and right arrow keys). These shortcuts mean you can very quickly and efficiently mark an entire class' worth of responses without even touching your mouse.
When you finish marking the question for all students, press the Escape key to return directly to the Analytics page.
Present answers anonymously
When viewing the student answer only, click the toggle labeled Hide student names to enable anonymous view. This will make the student name menu on the left disappear, which can be especially useful if you want to discuss answers with the whole class.
Anonymous mode is not available in the Compare view.